Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lookin' for "new" Adventure


Right now is a bit of "down time" as i await the next guided trip, so we are going exploring this weekend.  I live on the central Pacific coast, and unfortunately, this area is not close to any of the fishing I have described in past posts.  So we are going out to check a few of the rivers in our neck of the woods.

I depend on the locals to get an idea of where to fish, and as usually happens, I got a lead in a most unusual way.  Each Friday is our farmers market, and I go there to get our weeks fill of fresh produce.  I always buy my watermelon from "Flaco" (that would be "Slim" in English), because he always cuts a fresh one open for me to "test".  Last week I started asking questions about where he lived and grew his produce, and of course the talk moved in the direction of fishing. "Si, hay rios con pez" (yes, there are rivers with fish) !

So this weekend we are off to Flaco's place, to see exactly what might be in store for a fly fisherman.  His farm is about 2 hours or so from my house, which is doable for a day trip, but we are bringing our expedition hammocks to sleep in, just in case we're having too much fun. And I say "we", because I am  taking a Canadian friend, Russ, who "claims" to be a fly fisherman; we'll see!  It's always more fun traveling with a sidekick, anyway.  Russ spends his winters in the Canadian wilderness, blowing holes in the ground searching for "black gold" (oil and gas).  He is an outdoors man, which gets him in the front door with me.

We will be fishing in the mountains, above Parrita.  The rivers here should contain machaca and snook, although the machaca are a different strain than the ones we fish for in the northern rivers.  I expect this machaca to be smaller, but still have TEETH!  The snook, on the other hand, could grow large.

Today I also received a call from my good friend Neil Kahn, who runs Kayak Jaco www.kayakjaco.com
Neil told me he is entertaining an editor from Kayak Fishing Magazine   http://kayakfishingmagazine.net , who has asked to do some fresh water river fishing, my forte.  So I am hoping to get together with this guy,and maybe we'll get on the water together.  Either way, I expect to have some good stories in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Costa Rica fishing trips offers you experienced guide for enjoyment the special activity like fishing in sea. They will help you and get full security of your life, thanks....

    ReplyDelete